Who doesn’t need a good vanilla cupcake recipe?! I love making baked goods from scratch! I enjoy baking even more if it’s for someone I love. I have used this recipe for so many occasions. This time I decided to make them for my son’s 19th birthday party. I couldn’t resist the Halloween theme either since his birthday is the day before. I found edible glitter and the cutest marshmallow candy corn treats to decorate with. Everyone enjoyed them and they stay fresh for a few days. I always make my cupcakes the day before I frost them so that I don’t run out of time and they are completely cooled to room temperature. It makes decoration day even more enjoyable to not stress about the cupcakes getting done in time and cooling. I find it easiest to use a large gauge frosting tip and to pipe my frosting on. I decorate with sprinkles, glitter, or whatever I am using immediately after so that it sticks on the frosting. Yahoo… be ready to impress everyone with these gourmet cupcakes!!!
Ingredients for cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
Ingredients for frosting:
1 cup salted butter, room temperature
4 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3-4 Tablespoons heavy cream (or milk)
Instructions for cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder. Set aside.
- In mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites, vanilla, almond, sour cream, and milk. Beat until combined.
- Slowly combine dry ingredients to wet ingredients until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 the way full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean when tested in the center of a cupcake.
- Allow to cool, then cover with plastic wrap to keep fresh over night, or when ready to frost.
Instructions for Buttercream Frosting:
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add salt, vanilla, and almond extract, mix.
- Add powdered sugar slowly, alternating with heavy cream. (If you want a thicker frosting, just add a little more powdered sugar).
- Pipe onto your cupcakes with a large gauge frosting tip for rounded frosting hills. Decorate and ENJOY!!!